Recipients of the NC Artist Support Grant have been announced for Dare, Tyrrell, Washington, Martin, Beaufort, and Hyde Counties. Eight artists from eastern North Carolina have received these grants from the North Carolina Arts Council. The grants were awarded by Dare County Arts Council in partnership with Pocosin Arts, Arts of the Pamlico, and Martin County Arts Council.
The grant recipients are:
• Latrell Broughton of Washington, NC, for his photographic portraiture series New Geographies.
• Nora Hartlaub of Manteo, NC, for her video, performance, and sculpture project Stopgap In Situ.
• Jennings Mitchell of Williamston, NC, for the development of a photography exhibit at Martin County Arts Council.
• Lara Parks of Kill Devil Hills, NC, for the creation of a textile dying and print studio.
• Susannah Sakal of Kill Devil Hills, NC, to develop a studio space for photography, painting and other visual media.
• Kelly Shinn of Ocracoke, NC, for her literary work Between Wind and Water.
• Robert Waters of Columbia, NC for his musical theatre project based on the life of American composer Stephen Foster.
• Christina Weisner of Nags Head, NC, for her project Lines in the Sand, which explores the complex relationships between objects, humans and the environment.
“I am honored to have been selected for the NC Arts Council Artist Support grant,” said photographer Latrell Broughton. “This grant gives me a unique chance to make work that reflects and engages my community.”
The Artist Support Grants program, funded by the N.C. Arts Council, supports professional artists in any discipline and at any stage in their careers to pursue projects that further their professional development. The program responds to the impact of the pandemic by ensuring that artists and the state’s arts infrastructure have the resources needed to help our state make a strong social and economic recovery.
For more information or questions please contact Chris Sawin at firstname.lastname@example.org or (252) 473-5558.
Dare County Arts Council is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit arts organization dedicated to encouraging the arts in Dare County through advocacy, enrichment and opportunity.
About the North Carolina Arts Council
The North Carolina Arts Council builds on our state’s longstanding love of the arts, leading the way to a more vibrant future. The Arts Council is an economic catalyst, fueling a thriving nonprofit creative sector that generates $2.12 billion in annual direct economic activity. The Arts Council also sustains diverse arts expression and traditions while investing in innovative approaches to art-making. The North Carolina Arts Council has proven to be a champion for youth by cultivating tomorrow’s creative citizens through arts education. www.NCArts.org